Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Thermador 48" dual fuel Model PRD486 Range. When

We have a Thermador 48" dual fuel Model PRD486 Range. When I cleaned the stove top last week I managed to get water in the area where the circuit boards are located, the circuit board that controls the ignitors, the oven lock and the low simmer controls. We will have to replace the circuit board, oven lock motor and our service tech is not yet sure that there may be more. He will have to clean off the soot that got created by the resulting fire within the range. I have been reading postings on Consumer Advisor and it sounds as though Thermador owners are having so many surprising and expensive issues that perhaps we should not repair this range. Can you tell me if issues with professional range are actually common? Is this brand what you see as a brand that has many unsatisfied users?
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The issue with water getting on the simmer control and potentiometeters is actually quite common because water will come in from the back of the bullnose and drip on the parts causing them to short out. That doesn't mean that it's not worth fixing. The maximum this repair should really ever cost is about $600-700 and the unit is 10 times that prices, so I would never say it's not worth repairing in my personal opinion. That being said, I see more people unhappy with Dacor and Viking ranges, and if I were to pick on that is the best I might say Wolf. That doesn't mean that Thermador is bad, but it's "middle of the road" as they say when compared to all these high end 48" dual fuel ranges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your calm and expertise. I would like to know which part of the range top you are calling the bullnose. Obviously, I sure don't want to do this again! My husband and I own a remodeling company in Tucson, AZ. This is the first I've heard of this service. Brilliant idea and we are grateful for the advice.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no problem and I'm glad I can help. The bullnose I refer to is the leading edge across the front of your oven just above the controls. It's not really a true "bullnose" like a solid surface countertop, but that's what it's called for some reason. If you remove the burner grates and look behind this peice of stainless steel, you'll see tiny little slots and cracks along the backside where the burner drip grates sit. This is usually where water gets in so be careful if you're wiping anything down with a sponge. Make sure it's not a dripping wet sponge or water will get down these cracks and drip down onto the switches.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.