Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an older Maytag electric range with a self cleaning

Customer Question

I have an older Maytag electric range with a self cleaning oven. I set the oven on clean and set the timer on 3 hours and left it not realizing the clock was not working. When I saw this I turned the knobs to off but can not get the handle to move from clean to cook.
Is there a way to release the lock without forcing it and breaking it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

How long have you had it turned off for?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since yesterday afternoon
Expert:  Chas replied 2 years ago.

Have you tried pushing in on the door and then pushing the lever over?

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

I cannot know everything since I am not there with you to see all the conditions that the appliance we are talking about,

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from continue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and it didn't work either
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is Bryan,I look forward to helping you today.

Hi Chas has opted out do you have a model number on this unit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no model number on the outside of the stove.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay how old is this? It has a slide over handle I'm gathering from what you were talking with Chas about, it sounds like the lock release has failed is there a button you push and hold and well you slide the lock over when you start the self clean or do you just slide the lock over and set the clock? , Try this try putting it back into self clean for 5 min. and then cancel, see if that unlocks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know exactly how old the stove is I had it for six years it came with the house when I bought it. It just has the lever that you slide over. I did try to reset the oven to clean a couple of times but nothing seems to happen when i turn if off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
These have a latch solenoid in them, what happens is when the range goes into self clean it locks that handle with the solenoid, one of two things that's happened, either the solenoid has failed or the switch in the door lock latch assembly has failed, this is really hard on these ranges because it's usually underneath the top, does the top lift up on this one? Or is it a glass top?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It may lift off because I can lift the very top to replace bulbs. It's hard to see if the whole

top lifts off. The back part of the stove is flush against the wall but I think the backing may come off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay but this has regular burners and it then it's not a glass top or is it a glass top? The reason I ask is because you can shut the breaker off lift the top and there'll be a cover over the latch assembly you can take off and release the latch by hand to open the oven, is that possible on yours I'm not sure exactly where, range you have obviously without the model number, so I you able to just lift the top up with the burners?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes this does have burners but I can't lift the top because the lever is attached to the top. It seems like its connected.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay the lever is attached to the top? What is there a slot going through the top part that's all one piece is that what you're saying see I'm not sure what range you haven't it's real hard for me to understand what kind set up you have, is there anyway you could send me a picture of the front? I'm doing my best to help you but without knowing what kind of set up you have it's very difficult.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is a slot going through the top it's all one piece.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

this is a problem because you cant lift the top with the door locked, unfortunately will probably need a tech to get this open for you, we are not there and I have no idea how to tell you to proceed this point, because I have no idea what kind of setup it is, sorry, that's about all I can tell you at this point, you seem to have tried all the things I would've told you to try like restarting the self clean cycle and all that so at this point you don't want to do anymore damage to the latch assembly, wish I could've done more, thanks, Bryan