JCCARVER, appliance doctor
Experience:  25 years experience

the handle on my microwave is broken at the top and how do

the handle on my microwave is broken at the top and how do I change it. Model CFMV156 DC
Category: Appliance
Expert:  JCCARVER replied 4 years ago.

You will need to access the door handle mounting screws and remove it to replace the door handle. To access the screws on MOST microwave ovens, you must remove the inner door panel that goes around the perimeter of the glass. This can be accomplished by using a small screwdriver or putty knife to carefully pry the plastic up and work your way slowly around the perimeter of the glass to pop the panel loose. Most microwave ovens also have grooves in the panel that you can insert the screwdriver into. Use care not to pry against the glass. The glass is tempered and also has an RF shield that shields you from harmful microwaves.

With the inner panel removed, the door handle screws are visible and easily be accessed with a screwdriver. Simply remove the broXXXXX XXXXXdle and install the new one. Re-insert the inner door panel carefully and gradually work your way around the perimeter of the door glass and make sure it snaps back into place and seats properly.

This repair can be done with the door in place, or you can remove it for easier access. If you decide the remove the door, open it all the way and lift straight up at the hinges. The door will lift off of the hinge pins. On some microwaves, you may have to remove the upper grill cover over the door (if equipped) to accommodate door removal. Place on a hard flat surface with some towels under it for padding. This protects the door facing from scratches.

If you have any questions, or require additional assistance, please let me know. I hope this helps you.

Please hit GREEN ACCEPT button so I get paid for my time! Also positive feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you Jamie B.