Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

I have a Kenmore Elite, Ultra Wash Dishwasher, Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I have a Kenmore Elite, Ultra Wash Dishwasher, Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN When you start the cycle to wash, you hear the water fill, then shut off when full. Then it hums, like current to a stuck motor, for 5 seconds or so, then stops. Seems to fill some more, Then that same hum for some time, (30 sec or so) then clicks to quiet. If I select cancel, It drains. I had the motor out and it is not seized and turns freely. Nothing in the pump blocking its turning or flow. Any help?

Now this model has to pump a wash pump and a drain pump .

Which did you remove ,the smallone about the size of a soda can?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Had the whole thing apart, each off it's mount and in hand

ok on the main wash pump you have a capacitor .

it has two yellow wires on it ,are they plugged on to the capacitor?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes and it read ~23.5 uf

ok if the cap is wired properly .

motor turns freely , and it hums ,it would have to be internal in the motor.

Here is a link to the part , it even has a replacement video ,but it sounds like you may not need the video.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should have had you on the line while I had this thing all apart. So I didn't check the resistance on the main pump motor windings, not sure how,atm, but will figure it out. I should get 3-7 ohms on the run winding, and 6-10 ohms on the aux winding. If not, I have a bad motor?
and the part # XXXXX XXXXX your link. We had somthing (a screw I think) get down into the pump. must have finally got to the point of burning up the motor.