Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag Performance 30"gas oven ( Serial #PGR571BDQ) bought

Maytag Performance 30"gas oven ( Serial #PGR571BDQ) bought 7/26/2001.

The oven when lit has an even blue flame on both sides of tube with the following exceptions:
There are several holes opposite the electronic ignition that do not have blue flames flowing through it.

Also, intermittently the blue flame (1 inch in length from tube) coming out each hole on each side of the tube has a variety of flames from a couple of different holes from the tube that force the blue flame outward several inches than returns to normal distance.

My wife smells gas when the oven is in use. Not sure if the above events are related.

Help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

All the holes on the burner really should be lit with a flame. Try to adjust the air shutter under the oven where the burner connects to the safety gas valve. Open and close this shutter to try and adjust the flame. The few flames from different holes that force blue flames outward several inches really aren't a problem and is normal, but the holes that don't have flames coming through them are not a good sign.

If you adjust the shutter and you still don't have a good burn from all the holes, then you need to replace the burner itself.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you show a picture of this air shutter and safety valve with location?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
The air shutter is on the bottom of number 3 in the diagram below and the safety valve is part number 4.

CLICK HERE

You remove the drawer below the oven to access and see the shutter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Late night. I will try tomorrow. Actual picture of oven with shutter and safety valve is not clear as it relates to the whole. I intend to pay for your support but may have additional questions yet.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Ok good luck