Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our GE Profile microwave keeps saying that the touch pad has

Our GE Profile microwave keeps saying that the touch pad has a short in it. We unplug and restart and it works for a few times, then has same message again. Says "may need service"
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately if you're getting an error message saying that your touchpad is shorted, there really isn't much you can do but order and repalce the touchpad. if you have a model number you can order the part at Appliancepartspros.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a model number, PVM 1870SM3SS,
What would it take to replace the touchpad? Is that something I can do or need to hire an electrician or hire a guy from sears where I bought it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Below is a link to the touchpad you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the link. I did not have trouble finding the part on line. My question is whether this is something the average homeowner who can read can replace or is it a complicated process that would require prior experience.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
oh you can definitely replace this yourself. Below is a link to what the basic proceedure.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the link. Very helpful video. One last? question. Would it be better to order the touchpad new or mail the part back to have it serviced?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure you can mail the part back to have it serviced? I've never heard of that for a touchpad---you'll likely just need to replace the part.