Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

LG Tromm clothes dryer suddenly is not working. Power on but

Customer Question

LG Tromm clothes dryer suddenly is not working. Power on but will not start when I push start. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Do you get a beep or ANY response when the start button is pressed?

Customer :

No

Customer :

Nothing

Repairman1981 :

Lemme pull up the diagram for yours

Customer :

ok

Repairman1981 :

Their site is down at the moment, but I assume this is like all other DLE series dryers

Repairman1981 :

The 1st thing you need to check is power to the wall, not that it powers on but that you have 240v, sometimes you can have 120v and the board light up, the motor won't turn

Repairman1981 :

Then you need to check the high limit thermal fuse

Repairman1981 :

This is on the blower housing you have to remove the top, the front control and the front panel to get to this

Customer :

Even though this has been working for the past three years? The power to the wall would not have changed would it? How to remove top and front control and panel?

Repairman1981 :

could have, could be partially unplugged, heck the plug could have even went bad

Repairman1981 :

Need to put a volt meter on it to be sure

Repairman1981 :

to remove the top, 2 screws on the back, then pull back

Repairman1981 :

To remove the control you remove the 2 screws in each side of it, and pull it off

Customer :

Ok I will start to do that after unplugging and plugging back in.

Repairman1981 :

k

Customer :

top off and panel off

Repairman1981 :

now front panel, and then on the blower housing the thermal fuse is the small black disc with 2 wires

Customer :

do you mean the lower panel? I took off the top and the upper panel.

Repairman1981 :

the front panel where the door is

Customer :

so undo the screws on above the door under the top panel and then the front panel comes off too?

Repairman1981 :

yep

Customer :

will do

Repairman1981 :

k

Customer :

tight as a bulls ass but got the screws out. however, front will not come off easily - does is snap off or pull up or more screws?

Repairman1981 :

4 screws up top, and 2 behind door, it should then pull forward and there are hooks on the bottom, top pulls out at a 45 and lifts off the hooks

Repairman1981 :

Shouldn't really be hard, open the door the weight will help

Customer :

do not see black disk

Repairman1981 :

On the left side plastic housing coming down and hooking into the metal exhaust pipe

Customer :

took off filter housing too but can see no black disc on left side or housing anywhere. Front? side? way in back?

Repairman1981 :

front side, the blower is on the left

Repairman1981 :

That same housing going down to the center pipe out the back has a thermistor (white disc) and a black thermostat disc on ti

Repairman1981 :

All Lg's have these

Customer :

Do I need to take off the blower housing to see that? I get a pretty clear view of the exhaust pipe from blower on down but do not see the white disc or black thermostat

Repairman1981 :

You technically have to remove the front and whole drum to see them, but if you lean in and look back up at the left you can see them

Customer :

Only disc like things I see are on the element housing on the right, way inside. If I understand you right, I need to get my head inside a hole that seems to small for that, and look towards the front from the inside to see the thermostat - is that right?

Repairman1981 :

That is right, but not acutally inside, just in a tiny bit

Repairman1981 :

You can feel for them as long as it's unplugged

Customer :

Ill try again. I do have a flashlight; yes it is unplugged. If I do feel them then what?

Repairman1981 :

unplug and meter

Repairman1981 :

Feeling will let you know where they are

Customer :

Then?

Repairman1981 :

Tell me if the black one is open or closed with a meter

Customer :

Well I can feel something behind the blower housing with wires coming out but do not have a meter and cannot see the item in question. Anything else I can do?

Repairman1981 :

without a meter no

Customer :

ok well thanks anyway - that means I need to get a repair person in I guess?

Repairman1981 :

or goto the hardware store and get a meter

Repairman1981 :

You have done the hard part already

Customer :

a voltage meter? I have one of those but what to I connect it to as I cannot see what I am doing back there

Repairman1981 :

oh

Customer :

Thanks for the help.

Repairman1981 :

No problem, sorry we couldn't get to the resolution