Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience:  Install, repair and trouble shoot
26609390

Hi, Just tried to start a load in the dryer, and the knob

Just tried to start a load in the dryer, and the knob came off in my hand when I tried to pull it to start it. Is it easy to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Have you tried to push it back on? If you did, does it now fit real loose??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It slides back on, and turns...but when I pull to start the dryer at the setting i want, it just slides back off.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

When you put it back on is the knob just kind of loose? Do you have a pair of pliars so you can pull the stem out to start the dryer?

I want to know if it slides in and out as it should or if its sticking.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It will turn, but not pull out even with pliers

Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thats why the knob came off. You dont need a knob, you need a new knob assymbley. This is a combo switch that works both the timer and the starting of the machine.

You need to have this replaced. How old is the machine??

Charles

Charles, Engineering Contractor
Experience: Install, repair and trouble shoot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At least 12 years old. Looked old when bought the house, and have lived here 12 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At least 12 years old. Looked old when bought the house, and have lived here 12 years How much is this going to cost?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 years ago.

Lets put it this way, you looking at around a $225 to $275 repair. Lowes has a washer on sale right now for $350.00

With the washer that old, I would suggest getting a new washer rather than repair the old one. if you repair the old one, your going to spend $250 to repair it and still have a 12 year old washer thts going to break again sooner rather than later.

I hope this helps answer your question, if so please click the green accept button, if not im still here to assist you.

thanks again,

Charles

Charles, Engineering Contractor