Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

QUESTION IS FOR SUB ZERO TECHS ONLY PLEASE!! I have 3

Customer Question

QUESTION IS FOR SUB ZERO TECHS ONLY PLEASE!!

I have 3 sub zeros. 700 TR, 700 TF & 700 BR under counter serial # XXXXX built 10-94. The 700 Br under cabinet model was sent to repair place and for $100 he said it needed new freon bec it ran but didn't chill. Got it home, it worked for a month or two then stopped chilling again. What could be the problem with that unit? I do NOT know if the unit was set upright when it was transported. I couldn't afford to get it repaired AGAIN so it sits empty but I would like to fix it I just need guidance. I am VERY HANDY! CAN I PUT MORE FREON IN IT?

RE THE 700 TR OR TF UNITS: I go into my kitchen now and it smells like liquid cocaine! I have smelled it for 2 days now. THE UNITS RUN FINE but I am worried.! If I loose one of these 700 tr or tf, I am in HUGE trouble!! Is it possible to diagnose this problem with this smell?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
hello

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an authorized subzero service tech and i can help you today.

i have seen all of these units before. many times. and for the same exact problems as you are describing now.

for the br model, if the machine has been repaired once already by adding freon and it did not hold the charge, it is very likely there is a leak in the system. if the machine is older then 10 years this will not be covered under manufacturer warranty. and will not be worth getting it fixed. the repair for this job would be around $1200-$1600. and for a unit that age, it doesn't make sense to repair it.

for the units in your house now, how old are they? i unfortunately don't know what cocaine smells like. could you further describe the smell to me?

if there is any kind of smell that comes from these units, it is usually do to stale or stagnant water that sits in drain pan and accumulates odors then from the fan blowing over pan, the smell is distributed throughout the machine. then the house.

usually has to do with the machine not defrosting correctly. but if you say the temps are oak, it should be a problem.

there are some cases when the sealed system leaks and can get an odor when the gas mixes with odors from the food in the ref.

if that is the case, the machine will start to defrost on you and temp will warm up.

if that is the case, again if the machine are less then ten years old, they will be covered under the manufacturers warranty. and that would be the cheapest way for you to get the machines fixed.

i would just call a service tech or company to ask them to check it out for you.

if you have a minute and would like to go over some checks now just to make sure that is fine. email me back and i will walk you through it as much as i can.

please remember to hit the green accept button below now so that i can help you further.

thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

for the units in your house now, how old are they? 1994 they were purchased!! i unfortunately don't know what cocaine smells like. could you further describe the smell to me? I had liquid cocaine for a surgery! ha ha ha It smells the same. Sort of pungent. sort of like vinegar but lingering smell.

if there is any kind of smell that comes from these units, it is usually do to stale or stagnant water that sits in drain pan and accumulates odors then from the fan blowing over pan, the smell is distributed throughout the machine. then the house. is there a pan in my unit? I DON'T THINK SO. I HAVE TRIED TO CLEAN IN THE PAST BUT THERE ISN'T A DRAIN PAN. I REMOVE THE GRATES IN THE FRONT FLOOR AND THERE IS THE METAL FILTER RADIATOR TYPE THING THERE. ONCE A YEAR I CLEAN UNDER IT WITH A COMPRESSOR AND ONE A MONTH I CLEAN THE RADIATOR THING OF DUST

usually has to do with the machine not defrosting correctly. but if you say the temps are oak, it should be a problem. TEMPS R REGULAR

there are some cases when the sealed system leaks and can get an odor when the gas mixes with odors from the food in the ref. THAT MIGHT BE IT.

if that is the case, the machine will start to defrost on you and temp will warm up. NOT DONE THAT YET

if that is the case, again if the machine are less then ten years old, they will be covered under the manufacturers warranty. and that would be the cheapest way for you to get the machines fixed. NOPE THEY R OLD 17 YEARS. DOESN'T SEEM REAL!

i would just call a service tech or company to ask them to check it out for you. CANNOT AFFORD THAT. THAT'S WHY I'M WRITING U IF I COULD DIAGNOSE THEN ORDER THE PART, THAT WOULD BE GREAT. THERE USED TO BE A GUY AT SUB ZERO WHO I CALLED AND HE WOULD WALK ME THRU THE UNITS AND I WOULD REPAIR. BUT I SWITCHED PHONES AND LOST HIS NAME IN THE PROCESS. I AM SICK!!!

AWESOME. I WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT!
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
first i need for you to check the freezer sections of both machines. in the rear of the freezer there are evaporator covers that protect the evaporator. if they have any frost on them let me know.

if there is no frost or ice building up then you are good. put your hand near the back of the inside of the freezer area. do you hear a fan running? and is it blowing cold air?

if the temps are ok, then it probably is, and that is good.

we can then rule out a defrost failure. and have to deal with the smell. is it more pungent in the freezer section or ref section?

if it is the freezer section, then yes, i am afraid you will need to call in a service tech so he can better take a look. because you could have a sealed system issue. and if it is not taken care of soon, it could lead to big problems.

please do these checks and let me know what you find.

and please remember to hit the green accept button below.

thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SORRY, I HAD TO FEED MY 3 KIDS. HOMEWORK. ETC Tongue out

THe evaporator covers on this unit is under the white panel under the bottom drawer. Am I correct? I am familiar when they frost over and have blow dried them many times. When that happens there is no smell. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IS HTE ISSUE.

if there is no frost or ice building up then you are good. put your hand near the back of the inside of the freezer area. do you hear a fan running? and is it blowing cold air? THE FAN IS RUNNING AND IT IS COLD AIR.

we can then rule out a defrost failure. and have to deal with the smell. is it more pungent in the freezer section or ref section? THE TR AND TF MEANS TOTAL REFRIGERATOR AND TOTAL FRIDGE SO THAT'S NOT APPLICABLE ON THESE UNITS.

please do these checks and let me know what you find. WHAT ABOUT THE LITTLE BR UNIT? THAT'S THE ONE THAT ISN'T WORKING AT ALL. IT RUNS BUT IT DOESN'T CHILL. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR THAT??
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
you said beside the smell, you wanted to make sure they were ok. that was what i was having you do.

if they are running ok now and you don't see any frost that you previously had to defrost, then they should be ok. it would be extremely hard to tell now when they are operating fine.

for the br unit, if the unit can't hold a charge, there is nothing that you can do. and the last company you had fix the machine should have found the leak and told you to repair it correctly, they would have to find the leak in the system and fix it. otherwise, the machine will do the same thing again in the future. like it is now.

i would call in a repair company to take a look at the br unit and if you want, get him to take a quick once over at the others.

i could recommend a factory authorized subzero appliance service company in your area if you would like? just let me know what state and then city you are closest to. or you can go online to subzero website and search for yourself.

please remember to hit the green accept button below so that i can get paid for my time helping you.

thank you.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much Jon. Appreciate your help very much.
Expert:  Jon replied 2 years ago.
thank you for accepting my answer.

if you need anything else, please email me back here.

thank you again.