Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I just bought anew kenmore upright freezer and the thing runs

I just bought anew kenmore upright freezer and the thing runs for three hours each time and the fan is unbelieveably loud. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

3 hours running at a time is completely normal, but I'm not sure how loud the fan is. I'd call another technician to get a second opinion to see if the fan is noisier than it should be. The unit is under warranty so if the fan is loud they really should just replace the part.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how can it possibly be energy saving if it runs for three hours?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
because it draws WAY less amperage than the older style refrigerator/freezers. Compare it like you compare a sprinter and a marathon runner. If you told a merathon runner he could run for 3 hours and then break for a hour, he would never run out of energy.

If you told a sprinter to sprint for 45 minutes and rest for an hour he's be done for the day. The older refrigerators draw about 7 amps while the new ones can draw less than 1 amp which means they are using 7 times less energy while the unit is actually running. So even if they run 3 times as long, they are still using half the energy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I live in a condo so the freezer has to be in the kitchen, Should i consider going back to an upright non self defrost?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That's completely up to you, but the non-self defrost freezers are definitely going to be quieter because they have no fans---just a compressor and a thermostat. They are very simple units and that's not always bad.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a real bummer because we really like the new one but its just so loud in a small area.Thanks for the help and like you said simple is not always bad. Dave
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and I do wish you only the best.