Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my whirlpool gas dry heats up with no drum on, but as soon

Customer Question

my whirlpool gas dry heats up with no drum on, but as soon as i put the drum on it does not light. replaced the coils
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does the igniter glow on and off even though the dryer isn't heating when the dryer is all assembled?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the ignitro glows
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok then you have a problem with your gas valve itself if the coils were replaced. If a thermostat or flame sensor was faulty, it would stop the igniter from ever glowing. Since the igniter is glowing but the valve is just not opening, your gas valve itself is at fault and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
why does it work with no drum on then?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
hard to say, the drum really shouldn't have an affect on anything except for air flow. The flame will not stay on as long with the drum out so it will turn on and cut out after about 10 seconds where as if the drum is installed it will try to stay on for 45 seconds which might be enough to heat up the valve so that it stops functioning.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do valves cost and are the hard to replace?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
They are about $150 normally and yes, they are quite a bit harder to replace than the coils, it's the part attached to the gas line that the coils are mounted to.