Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Our Whirlpool Refrigerator ice maker has stopped making ice,what

Our Whirlpool Refrigerator ice maker has stopped making ice,what could the problem be?
S106626662
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Does your ice storage bin mount on the freezer door, or inside the freezer like a big shelf on the top?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
inside the freezer
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX ejector blades in the ice maker pointing in the direction as the picture below, that is home position for that ice maker? I know the ice maker in the picture is different but the ejector blades are pointed out and thats what I need to know.

Also is the ice maker mold empty?

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is ice maker mold the bin for ice.? That is empty. Where is the pictire you sent me located. I am on the phone with my helper ho is at the location with the refrigerator.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ah ok, the picture is just below. Click on the image.
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where on the refrigerator is this image located?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
In the freezer. Its a picture of the ice maker.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We took the cover off the ice maker , there is a dial yhat says do not tun manually,
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok please do not turn that. I need to know where the ejector blades are now, do not move them, under those is the ice maker mold. Is that empty?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the mold is not empty, He said something cold and smmoth, it feels ice, so we will unplug the refrigerator again and then we will chec this area. Is that where the ejector blades are?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The ejector blades are the part that rakes the ice out of the ice maker and there is a black arrow pointing to them in the picture.
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He said it is at 3:00 angle and cannot see the blades but can feel them and there is ice
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok great. Thank you. Give me a few minutes to type out what is wrong with it.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wait till you respond. I am sorry I thought it was empty but someone must have plugged it back in. I will unplug and empty out the water when the ice melts.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are fine we got it figured out. Those ejector blades should be at about 2 oclock. That is home position for the ice maker and if they are not there the module is broken.

The part with the gear on it that says do not rotate, that part its attached to has 3 phillips screws. Thats the ice maker module. That is the bad part and contains all of the moving parts of the ice maker.

The module is the tan part under the white end cap. Unplug the refrigerator. There are 2 hex head screws that hold the ice maker on the side of the wall over the top of it. They should be 1/4 inch screws just over the top of it and sometimes one underneath. Loosen the screws on the top and remove the one on the bottom. Lift the ice maker off the top 2 screws and follow the wires back to the wire connector and unlock then pull the connector.

You will then have the ice maker out. Remove the endcap in the picture.

Remove the wire connector from the ice maker, then remove the old module. That is the tan part under the end cap with the 3 phillips head screws.

Install the new module and then put the wire connector back in last just before putting on the end cap.

Once you get everything together plug the refrigerator cord into the wall outlet and turn everything on. The ice maker will cycle when it gets cold.
The part number is XXXXX And one place that has it online is located HERE.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.