Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My wife and I bought Duet Series front load washer dryer set

My wife and I bought Duet Series front load washer dryer set in early 2009.
the current problem is a F21 code; we followed the instruction in the manual; I find no problems with a kinked or frozen drain line; after de powering and re-trying to wash 3 times, we got a F-28 code; which is not l isted in the manual. My wife was on hold for 2 hours trying to get help from
Can you help me please
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.Please allow me some time to do research and type a response to each of your posts.

The meaning of the error code and the corrective actions are listed below.

F/28

Serial Communication Error

Communication between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and the Motor Control Unit (MCU) cannot be sent correctly.

• Check Wire Harness connectors to the MCU, the motor, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
  • Check the Drive system for any worn or failed components
  • Check MCU
  • Check CCU
  • Check Motor
  • Check Wire Harness

Basically there is a communications error between the CCU (control board) and the MCU (motor control)

Commonly what will fix this is disconnecting the wire harness from the CCU to the MCU cleaning the plugs then plugging them back in.

The MCU is located behind the panel under the door screwed to the floor near the motor, The CCU is located under the top of the machine, it is the box that has all the wires running to it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hitting the accept button does not exclude you from asking further questions at a later date. Please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort.

Please don't leave feedback until we are completely finished,this is a process, you may want to come back later and I would be happy to give you additional assistance if needed. Taking time to give me Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike; I pulled both the front and back panels and checked every wire connection I could find; I did not find any loose or not connected, although its nearly impossible to get to the connections on the CCU; hoping it was fixed, I started a load; it worked like before until it hit the rinse cycle about 30 minutes into the cycle; the unit beeped, shut down and gave me the F 21 signal again. What do you think??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.
F-21 is a blocked drain pump, to confirm, start a drain/spin cycle and see if you hear water being pumped out. A F28 is a bad code that usually costs you at least 2-300 on a board, to get this code right after is very strange, but VERY easy to fix. You need to remove the 3 screws from the bottom kickplate and then unscrew the drain pump plug (there will be water so unplug, and have LOTS of towels handy, you can tilt it back at a 45 degree angle and be able to have a lot less water). Then clean it out and you should be good.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
As repairman states f21 means a problem with the drain but he obviously didn't read the part about F28.

If you have previously checked all the wire connections then either the MCU is bad or the CCU is bad. You will need to run the diagnostic program in order to figure out which.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, can i run the diagnostic program, or do I have to pay a technician to do this.

Also, how do I gain acess to the CCU. It seems strange that the unit runs each time until it hits the mid cycle rinse; would that still indicate the CCU is bad??

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Well the error code either means the CCU or the MCU or the cable that links them is bad. These codes are pretty specific.

To run the diagnostic program take the panel out under the door by removing the 3 screws along the botXXXXX XXXXXp.

graphic

Once the panel is out you will see the tech sheet taped to the side wall of the machine, the instructions for running the diagnostic program will be on there.

Thanks!

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.