Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Hi, and thanks! I have a Jade RJRS4871B and want to know if

Hi, and thanks! I have a Jade RJRS4871B and want to know if there's a way to turn off just the freezer side (so I can defrost it) without shutting off the refrigerator side.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I didn't receive any answer yet and see on your site it now says, "Chas may be offline or answering another question."
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. The freezer cools the fridge so if you turn the freezer off you will also stop the fridge from cooling.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So how do I defrost the freezer?
The only way to defrost the freezer is to turn the unit off unfortunately this will also turn the fridge side off to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How high can I make the temperature on the Freezer side? Perhaps if I raise the temp high enough on the Freezer side, it will defrost (without effecting the refrigerator)?

You have to turn it off. That is the only way it will defrost. Any time you change the freezer side temp it will affect the fridge. I'm sorry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How/why would changing the freezer side temp effect the fridge side temp? Each side has a separate thermostat.

Yes but the fridge cools by circulating cold are into it by the freezer. The fridge just opens and closes a door to allow how much air enters. If the freezer warms up then so does the fridge and the door opens all the way on the fridge and allows warm freezer air to enter it.