John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Maytag Clothes washer would automatically drain on the delicate

Customer Question

My Maytag Clothes washer would automatically drain on the delicate wash cycle only (before I took the main /motor belt off) and would not agitate on any cycle; will receive water on any cycle. When I check the belts the pump belt was in good condition but the main motor belt had a piece of the contact area of the belt (1 inch long by 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness was torn off) was not in good shape. I can turn the agitator with one hand with some effort only about 1/4 to 1/2 revolutions (when I removed main/motor belt) but I can turn the agitator drive pulley easily in any direction. The drive motor spins freely with belts off and slides back and forth with a few pounds pressure applied. The door switch seemed to be OK, but I am not sure. I can hear the clicking sounds and could see the timer gauge moving in sink as it moves through the cycle. When I opened the front I found the ground wire from motor assembly was in two I reconnected but the problem remained. (Maytag Mod. # XXXXX; Serial #15023681SS)
I can’t afford to send them to the shop!
How can I fix these problems?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.

This is an odd issue, but it still needs to be figured out one step at a time. Do you have a voltmeter? Need to know how to use it too-I am not teaching that.

I would not be able to finish this with you until tomorrow evening-if you don't want to wait just relist this and see if anyone picks it up.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
That's fine. Have the front off as well as the console opened up so everything can be tested easily.