Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi. I have a 80 series Kenmore dryer of my moms

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 80 series Kenmore dryer of my moms that I'm trying to repair. The igniter is staying on and the gas isn't coming on to flame up for heat. Replaced thermal fuse, cycling thermostat, coils, flame sensor. Have tried without putting the dryer back together. Will it flame up if it's not totally put back together?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the coils. I stated that in my question?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok then if you replaced the coils you'll need to replace your entire gas valve assembly because there is nothing else that can cause this problem but the valve assembly and usually the coils fix the problem. If the igniter is still working then all the thermostats are still functional which means that your valve itself is the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am going to try assembly first and if it works I will accept and you can get paid.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok, good luck to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear sir. Had valve checked and it was was good. The problem was the placement of the igniter. It was not on the side of the burner tube where it could be detected by the flame sensor. Once I moved it the dryer lit. The thermal fuse failed do to the vent being blocked not allowing air to escape seeming like a clogged vent. With that being said I can't accept your answered because it was wrong. Please know had it been correct I would've paid. Thank you though.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
There is no way to know that parts weren't installed properly of course.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like you're bitter? Only used this twice and paid 15.00 before. If you want to pay for bad information then be my guest, I'm not!