gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

My Kenmore freezer wont stay cold enough to freeze. It will

My Kenmore freezer won't stay cold enough to freeze. It will freeze for awhile and then defrosts and stays that way. How can I get it to stay frozen? Condenser coils clean, evaporator coils don't have ice buildup.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 2 years ago.

gst85 :

hi

gst85 :

is have you ever noticed ice build up at the wall of the freezer ?

Customer:

No

gst85 :

can you hear the fan running in the freezer?

Customer:

Yes. The fan is running.

Customer:

Initially The freezer defrosted and I cleaned the condenser coils. It still wouldn't freeze but I adjusted the temp. from 8 (colder) to 5 and the compressor and condenser fan kicked on and it froze for awhile. Now it had defrosted again.

gst85 :

ok ,can you pull the fridge away from the wall to access the compressor please?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

ok

gst85 :

thanks.take your time.ill be on standby

Customer:

The compressor and fan were running but now they're not. Compressor is warm.

gst85 :

ok what you have is a sealed system issue,which is basically a freon leak

gst85 :

this is pretty common .your compresdor seems to be fine.just needs to be recharged

Customer:

Where do these typically leak?

gst85 :

thyour fridge has to condensors ,one that is internal and an external.now the leak is always in the internal condensor.so what need to be done is whats called a bpass.then a recharge

Customer:

Will that find the source of the leak and repair it?

gst85 :

a technician can locate the leak by instaling a service valve to add freon

Customer:

Do you have any idea what the typical cost for this is?

gst85 :

yes,for this type of service your looking at about $150 to $225

gst85 :

which is not too bad

Customer:

Just curious...is the compressor supposed to be warm? It's not hot.

gst85 :

yes wam would be normal.nowif the compresor is hot then that would mean tha it has failed.

gst85 :

so in this case the compressor is fine

Customer:

Why is it freezing sometimes?

gst85 :

the compressor is pumping whatever freon is left in the evaporator .

gst85 :

eventually will stop cooling

gst85 :

good luck to you.

Customer:

Thanks. I'll call a technician out. I was hoping it was a control issue and I could replace the part myself.

gst85 :

your welcome.pressing accept is how i get paid.

gst85 :

have a great night

Customer:

Thanks.

gst85 :

please leave feedback

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs