Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Maytag maxima washer will not drain. I read in the owners

Customer Question

My Maytag maxima washer will not drain. I read in the owners manual that there is a pump filter. How to I get to the pump filter?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX,X XXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you get us the full model number?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mhw6000xw0
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay your unit has a pump trap on the pump, these need to be cleaned out periodically, it's part number 10 on this diagram,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
most likely your pump trap is clogged, is there a little access door and the front of the washer machine may be a round one c type thing you can Pop off.? It's not showing them on the diagram I believe there is a little access door on the right bottom front can you let me know if there is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no access door on the front or the sides.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I didn't see one either but there's definitely a pump trap, this third access panel in the rear anywhere but you can see, it would make sense it you would have to take the whole front off of this just to clean the trap most of have some kind of access to them,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no access doors, I have looked over the entire machine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay look at this diagram tell me if you have screws that you can possibly take the U-shaped panel off around the door,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I've actually never seen one like this that doesn't have some kind of access to the pump assembly, it would make no sense to have a pump trap and not be able to get to it, so I'm thinking the outer skin panel around the door possibly comes off there are screws on the bottom but I'm not sure if these will allow you to take just the panel around the door off are not let me know what you think you take a look at it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the screws out on the bottom but it is not coming off
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay , are there any screws along with you open the door on either side that may need to be removed also? This is the craziest thing I've ever seen I don't understand why they would bother having a pump trap you can't get to. That just makes absolutely no sense. We do so many new machines it's crazy they change them every six months we never know what we are going to run into.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no screws, it feels like it is stuck at the top somehow. Is there a way to get the panel off the front top?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Well yes you will need to take the top off the machine and then there are screws to remove the control panel and then screws on the top of the panel apparently, you also need to remove the door seal from around the inner part of the door, if this is how these pumps have to get to help whenever run into one to be honest with you thats something else, this is a rare machine because I do a lot of machines and I've never run into this one yet hope I never do! At any rate that's the only way to get it apart I will send you however a link to all the diagrams which may help you in getting this apart, here is the link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Maytag-Parts/Washer-Parts/Model-MHW6000XW0/3048/0153200?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=MHW6000XW0 I'm pretty sure you just need to clean the pump trap, thanks, Bryan