Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

My daughter just bought a house and the appliances are included.

My daughter just bought a house and the appliances are included. The refrigerator/freezer stays cold, but water is dripping from the ceiling of the refrigerator and collects down at the bins and then runs onto the floor. She does not have an ice maker, so we are thinking that it has something to do with the defrosting of the freezer. Otherwise the frig and freezer work find.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Do you know if its a Whirlpool or Frigidaire? Or the other brand name it may be?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know, since I am at work right now. If it would help I can get that information later today and let you know.

Would that work for you?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
I am going to send you the information for a popular top freezer Whirlpool and this one is the most complicated Whirlpool so other models have fewer parts to remove. Save this page to your favorites so you can return if you need to return and if I happen to hit the correct model then that would be super huh. Anyway let me know.

Your defrost drain is clogged. Instead of the water going down the defrost drain in the freezer its going through the freezer floor.

Unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet. In the freezer remove the screws in the panel with the blue arrows. That is the freezer floor.

Loosen the 2 screws over the top of the ice maker then take out the one at the bottom of the ice maker if its there. Lift the ice maker off the 2 top screws and follow the wire harness to the back wall. Unlock that and pull the connector. Take out the 2 screws you loosened.

Then remove the parts with the red arrows. That is the back wall and airflow duct.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it, if you have further questions please ask.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much. They do not have an ice maker so I assume the steps should be just about the same except delete that part? We are going over there this weekend so we can try this. A co-worker also said it sounded like a clogged water line for the defrost. Thanks for your help. If I need anything more, I will check with you in several days. Thanks again
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
That will be fine, I expect to be out Thursday afternoon for several hours, as far as I know I will be available during the rest of the week.

Yes just leave out the ice maker part. The only difference between this model and other models is that most other models the floor does not come out.

You are very welcome and thank you for the opportunity. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Barry