APPLIANCE GURU-John
APPLIANCE GURU-John, Business owner
Experience:  20 YEARS EXPERIANCE IN HOME APPLIANCE REPAIR.
59801830

My 10-year old whirlpool washer (8280869) wont drain or s

Customer Question

My 10-year old whirlpool washer (8280869) won't drain or spin.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  APPLIANCE GURU-John replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using this service. I will be assisting you with your question today. The number you gave was not the model. Could I get the model number off of the unit? This link may help. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whoops, sorry about that, the real number is XXXXX
Thats it, thank you. It sounds like the lid safety switch has gone out, if you have a ohm meter you can check this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK firstly, what is an ohm meter?

Secondly, when I called a local service company they said that my machine was too old to need use an ohm on ... ???

An ohm meter is a meter you use to check continuity on electrical parts no matter how old they are. If you don't have a ohm meter, raise and close the top lid and listen to see if you here a click when it opens and closes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hear a click on the open end of the open/close action coming from this white plactic thing on the right hand side of the lid.

If its not clicking when its closed the switch is bad. Its better to use a ohm meter because sometimes they click but are still bad. But this is most likely whats wrong with your washer and the part does not cost that much and its not hard to install. I will give you a link to 1 place you can order the part and a video to show you how to replace it. CLICK HERE FOR PART CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So let me get this straight, it should be clicking when both opening and closing, not just when opening, correct?
Correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more thing, I will need to order this, it's not something I can pick up at Home Depot??
No you can not get it at home depot, you can only get it from a appliance parts dealer sometimes sears has a service center that sells these parts or other appliance parts dealers you may have in your area.
APPLIANCE GURU-John, Business owner
Experience: 20 YEARS EXPERIANCE IN HOME APPLIANCE REPAIR.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've looked at the install instructions and it looks pretty straight forward. Thank You very much and have a great day!
Your very welcome.