Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

Hello, My GE Profile refrigerator has been getting warm for

Customer Question

My GE Profile refrigerator has been getting warm for a few weeks now. After I click on colder setting the temperature eventually goes down, but during the night, it gets warm again. Today I clicked on colder setting many times but it is just getting warmer. What kind of repair is needed?
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Is ti just the refrigerator side that is getting warm or is it the freezer side as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The freezer too (it is on top), and it is mostly the freezer that is getting warm
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK. Do you see any frost on the back wall of the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it is water in puddles
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK, pull the refrigerator out, is the fan in the back running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I cannot pull it out on my own, but is making the same noise as it always did.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK, if you feel the section of the refrigerator between the freezer and the refrigerator doors, is it hot to the touch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, it does not feel hot or even warm, but the temperature on the display shows freezer as 46 degrees instead of 0, and refrigerator is 45 instead of 37.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK, and is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did pull it out, but I cannot identify a fan either in the back on in the freezer. It is making the same noise as always, but I cannot see any fans.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK, but inside of the freezer you should hear a fan running, this is the fan that I am referring to. Do you hear a fan inside of the freezer running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I can hear it. In the back I felt the temperature everywhere - it is cold behind the refrigerator except on the metal plate that is screwed behind the freezer - it feels warm.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
OK, this is sounding like a faulty compressor. If your fans are running this tells me that you thermostat is working. And the fact that it feels hot down on that metal plate tells me the compressor is overheating. It would be best to have a certified EPA appliance technician to double check that this is the issue, but is definitely a big repair that needs a professional.
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, thank you. Do you know the approx. charge for this repair?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
If you need a new compressor, you would be looking at around $600.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a technician over today, and the problem was a faulty motherboard. Since the fridge was working on and off, he said right away that it is a control board malfunctioning. I paid $320. If I knew it was a motherboard, I would order the part and replace it, saving half the price. The tech said it is the most common problem with GE fridges.
I used this website before for the washer repair advice, and there was the same issue with motherboard. I bought the part as was advised by the expert on this site, and saved lots of money.
Too bad this time it did not work out for me, I had to pay for the home call, labor and this part, plus for the advice, which was wrong.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

OK