MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

My Frigidaire Professional dishwasher just wont start. No

Customer Question

My Frigidaire Professional dishwasher just won't start. No mechanical sounds, it's like it's ignoring me. I've read on the forums and checked that there are no obstructions. I also tried (unsuccessfully) to find the 'float'. Any ideas on how to get my dishwasher to acknowledge my existence?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Is anything illuminating on the touchpad when you select?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only the 'add rinse aid' light staws on which, to be honest, is always on.

While I'm making the selection, all the lights show as normal.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
If you press start after making a selection what happens with the lights?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried it a few times. First time the lights all went off. Second time (after making selection again), it made a grumbly noise while it was open. Third time and fourth time all the lights went off again. Last time the 'washing' light finally came on and it started once I closed the machine.

Is there a problem in the panel? Or is this user error :)
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like a door latch issue to me. The latch has 2 switches on it and you could easily bypass both of them with a small piece of wire or a paper clip to see if that is it. I do not think anything else is wrong here otherwise an error would be showing up in the display. Getting this apart is very easy- do you want to do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it's worthwhile to check, if you don't mind sending me the steps (and if it's easy).
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Remove all the screws that you see on the door liner on the sides. The front will come off by dropping it down slightly. Then remove the remaining screws and get the console off and just let it hang. Close the door and turn off the power. Using whatever you want connect together the blacks and connect together the whites wires on the door switch as that will simulate the door in the closed position. Turn on the power and see if the unit works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This might be an obvious question - where do I turn off the power? is there a master switch?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
Your breaker box-only you know where that is.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well sir, it does appear to be the latch. That was quite an adventure - there is obviously a fair bit of skill required to get that door back on! I'll stick to my software engineering from now on!

Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 2 years ago.
And the angels sang. Thanks- any local parts house should have that latch assembly. Good work too!