Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

We have a 2 yr old Whirlpool Cabrio #WTW564OXWO - problem with

We have a 2 yr old Whirlpool Cabrio #WTW564OXWO - problem with it not spinning clothes dry. On line it talks of codes - I have not seen a code on our machine. What is our problem? What do we do? Doesn't seem to matter if it is a small light load or a heavy towel load????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
When the machine is going into a spin cycle, does it get to a high speed? Do you hear any noises when it is trying to spin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A few times it does go high speed (apparently) cuz clothes look like they are spun but still wet. Other times like this morning - it just sat there with 11 min at spin cycle and the lid was unlatched....the timer kept counting down but no spin at all so it sits now with zero minutes and "done" ......no spin....while it sat there - no codes???
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Are you using high efficiency detergent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes we do
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Is the machine doing the wash cycle with no problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far as I can tell - I haven't stood out there and watched it - clothes have smelled clean and not soapy...I really honestly don't know but I hear it. Lid is locked so can't look - have to assume...
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Try the following steps to see if you can find any stored error codes.

The washing machine needs to be plugged in and in stand by mode with all indicators off.

2. Choose any one button on the washer's console except Power, Start, or Stop. Press/Hold 3 Seconds - Release 3 Seconds - Press/Hold 3 Seconds - Release 3 Seconds - Press/Hold 3 Seconds.

3. If the diagnostic test mode has been successfully entered, all of the indicator lights will glow for five seconds with 88 on the time display. (If it didn't work try #2 again One one thousand...Two one thousand...Three one thousand)

4. If there are any saved fault codes they will be displayed. If there are no save fault codes all indicator lights will turn off for a moment then back on with 88 displayed and the automatic diagnostic test mode will begin in five seconds.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok will do it now.....did it but the only other buttons on the unit are the temp control;etc - tried that and tried a couple of other setting buttons - and I don't get any light to come on at all. What am I doing wrong?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
It has to be exactly three seconds that you hold the button on, and three seconds off. It has to be exact. It can take a couple of tries before you get it. Also make sure the unit is off before you try to do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK will try again - I'm back again - still nothing shows up for "88" or codes....nothing lights up. The washer is turned off - still plugged in tho. Nada. Now what - call a repair person? Does it make any difference which one I push - went thru it like 8 different times and nothing...

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
No it makes no difference as long as it is not the power on/off button. If the machine is not advancing through the cycle and going into a spin, it could be a control board, but there are other parts that cause this issue. It is difficult for me to say what could be wrong without being there or having an error code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Does a repair person have a way to read the codes if they don't show up on the front? Like auto repair?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
What I was asking you to do was placing the machine into an auto test mode. The first step of that test mode is getting the stored error codes. I would call Whirlpool to get an authorized service center in your area. No every tech knows how to work on these machines.
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.