Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

We have a Whirlpool Duet Steam front loading washer (and matching

We have a Whirlpool Duet Steam front loading washer (and matching Dryer set). I believe that both are less than a year old---- they both came with this house we just purchased and moved into here---- just one month ago.

Here's our problem......with the washer.... and when it started.

The washer has a feature to clean the machine--- which the manual recommends be done once per month. Yesterday, my wife did so, and ran that feature/cycle. Long after (hours after) the cycle was completed----she then opened the door to do a load of laundry.....only to find out that the tub had filled with water, which, when she open the door---started to run out of the door onto the floor. She quickly closed it, after finding out what was happening, but not after it left a mess all around, under the machine of spilled (clean) water. We then ran a laundry cycle in order to drain out all the water-----so that I could then clean up all that had spilled out the door, including the drawer down below, and under, around the machine----- (I carefully moved the machine after it had drained, cleaned up all the water off the floor---then carefuly put the wash machine back in place....making certain that all hoses in the back were not kinked, or damaged, and back in place).

That was last night----- after all was cleaned, this morning my wife opened the door to do a load of laundry....and we had a repeat! The tub seems to be filling with water when it is not being used----. We ran another cycle, I cleaned up the mess again....and now, an hour or so later---I took a look---and yes----the tub is slowly filling up again---with clean water....even though it is not being used.

I can't see anywhere in the troubleshooting section of the manual what might be causing this problem. I do know that it is NOT a drain problem-----I am guessing it has to do with the valve that allows clean water to enter the tub --when a cycle is being run...... but want to here from an expert about that. Thanks........Randy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
First thing you want to do is unplug the unit. IF it keeps filling, then you definitely have a valve problem. This is a pretty common problem. Do you have the model and serial number, with this, I can tell you how old the machine is. If it is under one year old, the part and labor to replace the part should be under warranty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model # XXXXX WFW9500TW01

Serial # XXXXX XXXXX

Found the receipt, it was purchased at a nearby Lowe's Store---on 4/12/2008, with a 4-year extended protection plan (which is still in effect).

Maybe I should just get in touch with that Lowes store and have them come out to troubleshoot/fix the problem.....Thoughts??

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
I would have them fix it is it is covered. This will definitely save you money. It is most likely the valve, so be mindful of that when they come out to troubleshoot. Sometimes they try to sell you more services when they come out on those extended plans.