Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

I own an Amana Side-by-Side refigerator, Model No. SZD22M2W,

I own an Amana Side-by-Side refigerator, Model No. SZD22M2W, S/N XXXXXXXXXX During a recent energy audit, I was told I should replace it because it is not very energy efficient compared to current refrigerators. I'm not sure how old it is or what it's "energy cost per year" or Kilowatt hours per year rating is (or was). The sticker inside states that it uses 12 amps. Can you tell me how old it is and what it's energy performance spec's are? Thanks.

Ed Byrne, Boulder, Colorado, (XXX) XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Can you send the serial number again, but this time put spaces between the numbers. Our system did not recognize it.

The 12 amps just mean that the unit is rated up to 12 amps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
9 1 1 2 0 6 4 2 4 4
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

The unit was produced in December of 1991 according to the serial number. I am trying to find the energy ratings but can find nothing, but I can tell you why it is not considered energy efficient. First, it is the refrigerant that is being used, which is most likely R12 on this unit. This freon and the associated compressor does not run efficiently. Secondly, this uses a mechanical thermostat to measure temperature. These are not as accurate as electronic thermistors and can keep the unit running longer to maintain temperature. lastly, the defrost is a operated by a mechanical timer. These timers place the unit in a defrost every 8 hours. This turns a heater on to melt the frost. The heater draws a lot of power and then you need to cool the unit back down. Today's refrigerators use adaptive defrost controls that sense whether or not the machine needs to defrost. This cuts down on the defrost cycles.

With all of that being said, if your unit is not broken, don't fix i. These are solid refrigerators and you will not by anything as reliable as these anymore. The new ones are energy efficient, but not as reliable as the old ones.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We now use the refrigerator as a back-up - I didn't want to "throw it out" because it still "worked," though at a pretty high energy cost. I can replace it with a $500 basic refrigerator that has no bells & whistles, but does operate at a very low cost both in terms of price ($33/yr) and kWh (311/yr). The price drops to $350 because I receive a $100 City of Boulder rebate and our power company, Xcel, pays us $50 for the old one. This seems like a no-brainer, but I thought I'd see what you thought.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
If that the case then I would replace it. I thought it was your main refrigerator.