John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Greetings, I have a U.S. Range/Garland cookstove, with 6 burners,

Customer Question

Greetings,
I have a U.S. Range/Garland cookstove, with 6 burners, two 27 inch ovens, 24 inch griddle with a raisd broiler. It is operating on LP fuel and is about 8 years old. I have replaced both oven tstats twice (at >$150.00 for each one). I am trying to figure out why theses are failing so quickly. Also since it was new the range burners "pop" when truned off, the oven and broiler do not. I would be interested in your thoughts.
Best regrads,
Andy Bernhardt
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

We in the commercial cooking equipment business are experiencing a reduced quality in parts, due to the fact that most replacement parts are now assembled in other countries such as China, Taiwan, Mexico, and others. There's very little attention invested in quality, only quantity. I recently had a run of six faulty thermostats on a Wolf griddle.

The popping noise at the surface burners is common to propane operation, and it's harmless, unless there's a constant flame at the orifice hole. If there is, it will cause soot buildup in the burners.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

When the oven failed to light the pilot was still operating. Just now I tried to light the pilot without sucess. Is it possible that the T/C's have failed? T/C $10.25 vs tstat $175.63.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Before buying any parts, be sure the thermocouple connection at the gas safety valve is clean and tight. After that, check to see that the thermocouple has maximum pilot flame contact. Ideally, the bulb should glow dull orange. If that does'nt get the pilot flame to stay lit, when you releave the pilot button, replace the thermocouple.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, When I press the Pilot button no gas comes out for the pilot to light. I held button while appling a flame for about one minute.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
The usual reason for that is a plugged pilot orifice. In order to access the pilot cap, loosen the pilot gas input line, and gently remove it from the pilot assembly. If the orifice cap does'nt come out with the gas line, you'll need to remove the entire pilot assembly to get to it. Once you get the orifice out, clean it in laquer thinner to clear the pilot hole.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

Here's what I have done so for to check pilot/Tstat oeration.

1. Checked T/C connections on both ends. Pressed pilot button. No pilot gas.

2. Disconnected pilot supply tube from safety valve, pressed pilot buttton. No gas.

3. Reconnected to valve and disconnected pilot supply tube from pilot assembly, pressed button. No gas.

4. Cleaned pilot orifice (per your instructions), pressed pilot button. No gas.

5. Placed candle under the T/C and waited 5 mins. Turn oven tstat to On . No gas flow.

6. Turned on second oven (separate valve). operation normal.

Can you think of anything else to try before before I purchase the overpriced chinese crap?

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Since no pilot gas from the safety valve, when you depress the button, there's nothing for it but to replace the valve.
John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience: 25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK,

Thanks for your help. Your answer is acceptable.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.