Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

PartSelect User: I have a Kitchenaid washer that the agitator

Customer Question

PartSelect User: I have a Kitchenaid washer that the agitator is noisy and not spinning correctly. I have looked into the agitator repair kit, and it looks like it will resolve most issues, but I'm not sure. The bottom half of the agitator spins freely inside the tub when the washer is not in use. I can spin it quite freely in any direction, but I believe that it is supposed to be locked to the tub and not spin at all. Will the agitator repair kit resolve this issue, or is there more going on here than what meets the eye?
Submitted: 2 years ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
That will take care of the agitator not agitating correctly. If you grab the top of the agitator and spin it in one direction, the whole agitator should spin, but if you move it in the opposite direction, it should not. The is a very common problem. Those four little parts in the kit are like gears and they have teeth in them that wear out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, the bottom half of agitator will move freely if the dogs are broken? Or, is there possibly more wrong with washer?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

How freely does it spin? Is there any resistance? Does the tub move freely as well?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tub is stationary, but bottom half of agitator rotates in both directions. It doesn't wobble... It rotates in clean rotation line, and there is friction so that it can't spin loosely like the top half does. But, I know that the bottom half should be in sync with the rotation of tub, and I shouldn't be able to spin it as easily as I can with one hand.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No at all. That would tell me that you have a defective transmission. It is up to you if you want to repair it, but if the machine is older than 10 years, I don't think it would be worth repairing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you Jason... Machine is about 18yrs old. Wonderful machine! It does a huge load! Also, there is an oscilating crunch noise that goes with the normal movement of the agitator. Probably busted dog ears... So, if the bottom half is somewhat loosely spinning, then I should be looking into a replacement, eh?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
I would. Those where great machines, but it is a lot of money to invest. Most manufacturers consider 10 years to be the life span of a machine, so you got 8 more than expected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Smiling... Any suggestions? Brand? Make? Model? Ugghh! Wrong time for this! Well, thank you for your expertise! Appreciate it!
Thank you!
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I would go with Whirlpool, same manufacturers as Kitchen Aid. They still make a pretty good machine.

Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Jason! Have a good day!
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
You to, thanks.