Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

GE Profile Refrigerator/side by side---1995---freezer works/refrigerator

GE Profile Refrigerator/side by side---1995---freezer works/refrigerator does not.
Are you getting a lot of frost on the back wall of the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We took cover plate off of back wall of freezer and defrosted freezer unit, restarted; freezer is working well, but refrigerator is still not blowing out cold air, does not seem to be working.
Was there a lot of frost? Is the freezer fan running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there was a lot of frost build-up, the freezer fan is running.

Does freezer/refrigerator unit work off one/same compressor/

Yes it does. The issue is that if frost builds up, this blocks the cold air from circulating from the freezer to the refrigerator.How long has the refrigerator been on since defrosting?

This is a defrosting issue. The unit needs to defrost to remove the frost off of the coils. There is either a defective defrost heater, bi metal, or timer. Do you have a meter to check continuity and for voltage?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About a half an hour.

We do not have a meter.

Since we defrosted the unit, why is the refrigerator still not receiving the cooler air?
If you feel at the damper, which is the vent on the top right wall in the freezer, with the freezer door closed, do you feel air coming through?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure I understood this correctly; with freezer side closed, felt inside on top left side of refrigerator where tube comes through from freezer, could feel cold air coming through-not real strong, but there was cold air coming from freezer side. There also is a small vent in side of door from freezer to refrigerator, did not feel anything coming through that-looks like a small filter inside it.

OK, there is air circulating into the refrigerator. You will have to give it about 3 hours before you notice cold air in the refrigerator.

The way it works is that the cold air is generated for the freezer. The freezer fan will then circulate that air up through the vent, then go down the refrigerator and through another vent back into the freezer. If frost builds up on the back wall, this will block that air flow and all of the cold air will settle in the freezer and not go into the refrigerator.

So like I said, the issue is either the heater, bi metal, or timer. A real quick check you can do to see what part is defective is remove the back wall, on the bottom of the coils you will see a metal part that has two wires going to either side of it. This is the heater. IF you remove this part and look at it, you can tell if it is defective. the heater is essentially a glass light bulb. IF it is defective, it will be black and look like a burned out bulb.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the bulb looks black, is this something we can replace ourselves?
Sure, it is very easy as you can see. If you send me the model number, I can look up the part for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do we remove the heater bulb? It looks as though it is attached with a sort of wire brush to red plastic or rubber clamps whose wires run up the length of the freezer.

Can you send me the model number so I can tell you definitively how to remove them. Each model is different.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Here is a link to a site where you can order the part. Just follow the wires up to the top and the should go behind a panel where the fan motor is. There is a white plug that you can unplug to disconnect the wires. THis part also comes as an assembly with the bi-metal, so that will have to be removed as well. AAA/0432/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&pathTaken=partSearch&pathRender=modelComponent&documentCompId=10032001&diagramPageId=00003&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=TFH24PRSAAA&subCompDesc=Freezer%20section&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR&blt=11