Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

Kenmore stacked washer dryer. Model number 417.94802301. it

Kenmore stacked washer dryer. Model number 417.94802301. it makes a vibration and noise when spinning and the dryer knob doesn t move when on auto.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is the dryer getting warm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the dryer heats great and works on times function. but on auto the dial doesn t move. we just purchased the unit used.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the real problem is that since the knob doesn t move the dryer does not shut off. It does change temps fine too. We solved the washer noise with wd40 on nylon ring below tub. dryer was very linty behind knob panel which we cleaned.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
The auto timer is not moving because it is not heating properly. Check your venting to make sure that it is not restricted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will do this and get back to you. have to take apart again.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where is the sensor that could be restricted? paperwork shows wiring but not location. and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX t say that before.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome. What you want to check first is that your venting is totally clear. IF the air can not exhaust, it can cause the dryer to not heat properly. IF the dryer does not heat well, the auto dry function will not work. This cycle senses how dry the clothes are and advance the timer. If the clothes are not drying, the timer will not advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but the clothes do dry. in fact too much. it just runs and runs even after they are dry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. We took off outlet all the way to fan. fan moves good vol of air and its heated. I had cleaned a lot of lint out of exhaust before I started it. Could not find any other large amounts.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Do you see two metal bars inside the back or front of the drum?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

blowing out exhuast system now. behind the back of drum?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No inside of the drum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now we have to to shut off smoke detector! there s a lot more air coming out now after blowing it out. am trying the auto again now. small metal bar about 4 inches attached just inside vent clean out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Left auto on for more than 5 min and the dial still didn t move.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

OK, there is a thermostat near the blower on the bottom of the floor that controls the auto cycle. You ca see where it is an order the part in the following diagram. It is item 15.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kenmore-Parts/Washer-dryer-combo-Parts/Model-41794802301/0582/0152000/R0306503/00002?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=41794802301

Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your work.