Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.

Our whirlpool refrigerator is 11 years old. The ice maker has

Our whirlpool refrigerator is 11 years old. The ice maker has not been making ice for over a year, which doesn't really bother us at all. But now, occassionally someone will bump the wire arm into the "make ice" position and our refrigerator will fill up with water. How do we fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
If the ice maker hasn't worked, you shouldn't get any water to the ice maker if some one puts the arm down. Can you double check the model, I can not locate information on it. Is this a top freezer model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason. This is a top freezer model. Model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
OK. As I said it is strange that if the ice maker hasn't been working that you would get any water to it at all. Have you tried shutting the water off to the ice maker to prevent this from happening?

Are you getting water under the bins in the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The water is in and under the refrigerator bins. No water goes into the freezer or the ice maker, only the refrigerator.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this sounds more like the evaporator drain is clogged.

Behind the freezer wall is the evaporator, this part builds up frost. To get rid of this frost, the refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle. When the frost melts, this water is supposed to go down a drain hole under the evaporator, to the pan under the compressor. The heat. Of the compressor evaporates this water.

Over time, the drain can get clogged with mold. This is very common so do not worry about the mold. When it gets clogged the water backs up and freezes, blocking the drain and then instead of the melt water going to the drain, it goes in the refrigerator.

To clear out the drain, remove the back wall of the freezer, remove the ice, and pour boiling water down the drain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

By back wall do you mean inside or outside of the freezer?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Inside of the freezer. If you remove the 3 screws that hold in the ice maker and remove the 4 screws that hold in the floor on he freezer, you can then remove the 2 screws that hold in the back wall.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. So I don't have the right screw driver. If I turn off the water to the ice maker, will that have any negative affect on the operation of the refrigerator? It will at least eliminate the flooding of the refrigerator.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
No, turning off the water will have no effect. The water incoming from the frost on the evaporator