Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

How to reset GE microwave?

My GE microwave stopped working. Is there a reset button somewhere on a Model  JVM1740M1SS , serial #  AR  901356B ? Manufactured in 2008.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. When you open the door, does a light come on? Is the clock area lit up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked to make sure that the outlet the microwave is plugged into is good?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
OK. There is no reset, but there are two things that can shut power off to the microwave.There is a fuse behind the control panel that can shut off power. There is also a thermal cut out on top of the oven cavity that can shut off power. To check them, you would need a continuity meter to check.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This I have. The microwave is a spacesaver and is mounted at the top. Can I access the fuse and the thermal cut out without dismounting the oven?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The fuse is located right behind the control panel. You have to remove the front grill by removing the two philips head screws that hold it in. Then remove the screw that holds in the panel. Pull it down and you can access the fuse. It is up near the top of the unit. It is a white glass 15 amp fuse. The only way to access the thermal cutout is to pull the oven off of the wall.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fuse is good
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Then it can be that thermal cutout. Like I said, the oven needs to be pulled down and the liner removed to access the cutout
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Liner?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The outside of the microwave. The metal casing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what am I looking for when I get the liner removed?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The thermal cutout is on the top of the oven. It has two wires and is silver and about the size of a dime.Check it for continuity
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Dinner is ready and I will look into this tomorrow.