Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

We have a GE Electra Refrigerator with a turbo cool function.

Customer Question

We have a GE Electra Refrigerator with a turbo cool function. The turbo cool is suppose to run for 8 hours and then shut itself off. The problem with ours is that the turbo cool is running non stop and freezing our goods in the refrigerator side of the appliance. How can we "reset" or shut off this turbo cool function?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX for choosing our service.

Your damper which I have arrowed in the diagram below is stuck in the open position or it is broken. All the air that gets cold in your unit starts in the freezer. The air is then circulated over to the fridge. Once the fridge gets cold enough the damper is supposed to shut. This does not mean the unit shuts off, it will continue to run until the freezer gets to the temperature it is supposed to be. If the damper stays open then that air continues to circulate over to the fridge freezing everything.

UNPLUG THE UNIT
You will need to remove everything from the fridge thats in the way of removing this part. Remove the light cover and fixture. Go to the rear wall and the small cover at the bottom of the part arrowed. Then you can access the damper. Once get it off see that it opens and closes with your fingers. Or if it is broken.

The damper comes as an entire assembly and cannot be purchased any other way. The part number is XXXXX That is a factory part number you can shop anywhere with. One place that has it online with a picture you can look at is located HERE.

That will take care of the problem

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a trick to removing the covers 458 and 207? I've removed the light and all screws I can find, but it seems stuck to left side and middle?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There are snaps I believe on number 207 and screws for number 458 under that 207 cover. Also sometimes the gasket in the upper corner of 458 sticks.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am behind all the covers and I see the damper. From you description, it appears to be doing what it is suppose to do, it freely flaps open and closed. From my initial question that the turbo cool light never goes out - it is suppose to after running for 8 hours, will this damper affect the turbo cool shutting off or is there more to it?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Let me study the wiring diagram, no the damper does not control the turbo cool. One thing you could test press the door light switch for a few minutes and then release it for a few minutes. Does the damper open and close with the opening and closing of the door light switch? Might as well look at it and see.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On further review the flap that covers that inlet appears to actually be just laying in there and not connected to anything. I can move it from side to side and see the tabs where it should be connected. I will try to remove the entire assembly next. I was able to get the covers off, but removing the remainder of that assembly looks a bit trickier. At any rate, it does appear that the damper is the issue with freezing food. The other issue of the turbo cool light not going off may be secondary. Thanks much for your help!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Thank you for the opportunity.

That is odd, I do not see why it would be stuck in turbo cool unless the main board is reading the open and closed switch from the damper or that the thermistor is picking up the cold air. It could be hung internally.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I will work the first issue and see if that clears up our freezing problem. I'll monitor the turbo cool a bit more after that and see if we can get it to clear. Thanks again for your assistance!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Have a good weekend.

Barry