Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer behind your food ? look real good.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot answer your question at the moment because the refrig is in a rental house that we own. The renter didn't answer his phone when I just called. He must not be home. What do we do now? I'm so sorry about this!
Thats fine don't worry, The reason i asked is if there is its a defrost issue, when you have a defrost issue the freezer gets cold but theres no air flow to the fresh food section, if you can get through to them just ask them and reply back, i will receive your reply, also ask if the fan inside the freezer is running. let me know, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hope to get thru to the renter soon, but I can't be sure when he might get home. How long can you wait? Should I "Reply to Expert" after I talk to him? Anything else I should ask him?
you can just hit reply to expert and your reply will be sent directly to me, as soon as I see it I will reply back, I am not on 24 hours a day however but will be on until later tonight and then again tomorrow morning, nothing else to ask him at this point, we need to know the things I asked first, we can take it from there, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will get back to you as soon as possible. I just called the renter again, and no answer. Hope he doesn't stay out too late! Maybe I won't get to answer you until morning, but I will definitely keep trying!
okay. I should be on till 10 or 11 pm EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Bryan. I just now reached the renter! There is barely any frost, if any, in the back of the freezer. He says that there is frost around the sides of the doors in the front. Also, the fan in the freezer is working.

He cannot adjust the numbers in the refrig or freezer. The 2 dials will not turn!

The refrig part is very humid, steamie, and warm. There is bubble-looking moisture on the walls.

Hope this info will be of help.

okay this sounds like one of the door gaskets is leaking letting moist air from the house into the refrigerator which will cause the controls to freezer and not turn, have him check both door gaskets real good for a seal problem, one of them is not sealing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not much luck here. The renter has left the house again. (I think he is sick and someone (Frank) is taking him somewhere for the day. I talked to Frank and got his cell phone #.

Frank just told me that if he were there he wouldn't know how to check the seals anyway. How does one do that? If that is the problem, should we call a repairman? Do you have any idea approximately how much it will cost?

We are wondering if we should be looking for a new refrigerator? 9 years old doesn't seem very old to us--does it to you? We would like to save this one if we can.

Well he needs to look at the gaskets all the way around the doors when they're shut and see if there's any spaces letting moist air in, as far as the service call goes it might be a good idea considering your situation and you not being there, gaskets are sometimes really hard to straighten out and a technician would be able to do this and also get the controls freed up, you don't want to have your tenant break something where it would cost you more, as far as nine years old goes that's not too old really and new refrigerators are terrible nowadays anyway, however if you need to buy when I would go with a whirlpool again they seem to have less trouble than others, hope this information has been useful however, it's really difficult to do much more without the tenant being there and being able to do this, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much Bryan. You have been very patient with us, and we appreciate the fact that you stuck with us.

We will call for a Sear's serviceman now and hope that he can save our refrigerator.

Best regards, Margaret

I'm sure they can, they are a little pricey though, you may want to check around for other appliance companies because Sears charge a lot of money for service, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan