Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

After I got an F02 error message, I stopped the machine but

Customer Question

After I got an F02 error message, I stopped the machine but can't open the door to take the item I was washing out. How do I get the door open? There is water in the machine, but not much (it won't splash out).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

first heres the error code meaning.

F/02

Long Drain

If the drain time exceeds 8 minutes, the water valves are turned off and "F/02" is flashed.

NOTE: After 4 minutes the "Sud" error will be displayed, then 4 minutes later the F02 error code will be displayed.

Press PAUSE/CANCEL twice to clear the display.
  • Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked.
  • Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.
  • Check the drain pump filter for foreign objects.
  • If the above does not correct the problem, replace the pump.
what you need to do is take the bottom access panel off under the door, there areXXXXXdown under the front access panel, (you almost have to lay down to see them) remove those and then the access panel, then reach up inside to the door latch and pull the small emergency open ring on the bottom of the latch, Main Product View, check the drain pump trap for clogs. heres a video to help you get to the pump. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/280187/1200164#repairHelpVideoTabs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We blew any obstruction out of the hose and were able to open the door. However, after taking the item out of the washer, it won't pump the standing water out and the drum won't spin. We will remove the front panel and check the pump. Can we still respond back to you, even if it takes maybe 30 minutes?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sure no problem, you will probably find it clogged, just get some towels ready there will be water, turn the cap counter clockwise slow until you sop up all the water, then you can unscrew it all the way and pull the trap out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We cleaned out the pump trap. Found a dime and some lint, but nothing I would consider big enough to cause much of a problem. I put in a small load of light clothing and the machine worked through the cycle for a while and now has SUD on the display. I expect in 4 minutes it will again read F02. Do you assume we need a new pump?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds like the pump is bad, is it not draining again ? recheck the pump trap, is there a lot of sudsy water in this machine? also please don't press accept again you could be charged twice, if there is a lot of suds the suds can block the pump also. you may need to clear this more than once, what kind of soap are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it is not draining. I hear the motor acting like it is draining, but it's not. I keep having to wait the minutes it takes to go through this process of not draining before I get the F02 msg again. Then I try to press START, so I can press PAUSE and get the door to open. I need to get those wet clothes out of the washer before we can open the pump trap again. We couldn't locate the emergency open cord to get the door open. What side of the washer is it near? Left or right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
on the side across from the door hinges , the side with the handle you open the door with.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Forgot to mention that I am using HE detergent called ECOS, an "earth friendly product" I bought at Sam's. First time I've ever had a problem like this. I've always used HE detergents, although this is the first jug of ECOS. We'll look for the emergency door cord. Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yeah it could be the Detergent,you may want to try running it with no detergent and hot water for a few times through to clean it out. suds can really mess these up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, we're stuck at the point where we can't open the door to get the clothes out (last time we at least got the item out and scooped the water out before we opened the pump). My husband reached his hand up where I told him the emergency release is and he broke something off. Now we're completely stuck. I may as well call a repairman out, although I thought we were on the right track earlier.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
he broke something ? did something fall down and do you know what its looks like ? not sure what he could have broke .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's black and it's the little circular "pull tap" that he was supposed to pull to release the door (I guess). I reached my hand up there and I didn't feel this little circle, so he reached up and wiggled it and it broke off in his hand.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
oh, sorry, these do not break that easy, In fact I've never heard of one breaking but I guess it can, I really don't know of another way to get the door open, however the door latch itself will still work you just wont be able to open the door if this happens again in the future, he didn't damage the latch by breaking that ring off, its just a pull ring.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've unplugged the washing machine. Those clothes will just have to sit in there until we can get someone out here to help us. This whole mess has taken a lot of time and we're still not fixed, but I can't do anything else with it tonight. I'll call the appliance store in the morning and find out the name of a repairman. Thanks for your help, even though we didn't accomplish what we wanted.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome I'm sorry that happened. well wishes and thanks , Bryan