Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

I have an old Maytag dryer, model LDE8420ACW. As we dry clothes,

I have an old Maytag dryer, model LDE8420ACW. As we dry clothes, it makes an awful noise. It feels like the drum is perhaps out of balance. I don't know if this simply means the belt needs to be replace, or an adjustment to balance needs to be made. Any suggestions?
Brent, in Castle Rock, CO
Does the machine move as it is spinning? Or does it just make a noise?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Very slightly; it sits next to the washer, and doesn't really have room to move, and the pedestals are balanced on the floor. But it's not 'jumping'! By the way, I've never done work on a dryer, though I've done many other 'handy' things around the house. Thanks for your reply.
Brent

OK, so the noise isn't coming from the unit being actually out of balance. Is it a thumping noise, like a flat tire?

If you start a cycle and then open the door, does the noise stop right away or does it continue for a little bit?

Here is a link to a video showing how to access the interior of a Maytag dryer. The parts you most likely need are the drum rollers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uee5SL8MEqs

You can order the parts for your model at the following link.

http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=model_lookup&model_num=LDE8420ACW&model_id=322148&diagram_id=6489194

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You called the item "drum rollers", but the video only shows one — is there only one to be replaced? Also, since I'll have the thing open, does it make sense to go ahead and replace the best as well? (the dryer is 19 years old). Brent