Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My dishwasher fills with water but doesnt start the wash cycle.

My dishwasher fills with water but doesn't start the wash cycle. Instead it clicks as if trying to start. This happens over and over until both the "clean" and "wash" lights flash simultaneously. What could be wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
OK so this means that either your motor is bad or your control board is bad and not sending power. You'll need to remove the kick panel below the door and use a multimeter to test the wires going to the motor. There are 4 or 5 wires going to the motor. You need to test the blue wire to the grey wire and you should get 120 volts when the washer should be running. You should also get 120 volts when you test yellow to grey on the wires going to the motor. If you do not, then replace the control board. If both voltages check good, you'll need a new pump and motor assembly.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes the dishwasher runs through its cycle normally but makes a very loud screaching noise. What does this mean?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That would usually mean that your impeller/seal kit inside your sump assembly is going out and may need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could the squealing noise be related to the bad control board or to the bad motor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
The motor, not the control board. The new motor assembly would come with a new impeller/seal kit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So about how much do the motor assembly and/or control board cost?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
About $165 for the motor assembly and $190 for the control board it looks like.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it time for a new dishwasher?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
that's completely up to you, but it is quite an expensive repair so that is something that I would personally consider if the dishwasher were mine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You've been great. Thanks!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and I wish you the best of luck.