Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello, Amana expert, I would be very grateful if you have

Hello, Amana expert,
I would be very grateful if you have a minute to help ...
I have owned and thoroughly loved my Amana refrigerator, model ARB9059CS.
She's getting older, perhaps 9 or 10 years old now.
Just recently, it's losing cooling power, in both freezer and fridge compartments.
Sir/madam, is this a condition that can be repaired? I would prefer to repair if possible, since I've enjoyed it very much, and it's the perfect shorter depth and lovely wide width for my cabinetry.

If not recommended to repair, is there a current model that is of comparable dimensions that I should consider?

Many thanks in advance for whatever advice you might offer me.
My email address [email protected]
Susan MacDonald
Galt, Ontario

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Good morning, is this completely warming up? I need to know a few things to help you, 1st is there frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind your food ? 2nd is the fan in the freezer running ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Bryan ... and thanks for the prompt and kind assistance

You are absolutely correct --- there is a frost coating on the back panel inside the freezer. It's perhaps 1/8th inch thick --- and I am embarrassed to say I had not noticed it before...

And yes, I can here a motor running when I open the freezer compartment

This is actually good ! This means it fixable , what you have is a defrost issue. are you planning on repairing this yourself ? its 1 of 3 things, 1 the defrost thermostat. Main Product View 2 the defrost heater. Main Product View or 3 the defrost timer. none of the above are over $50.00, do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is marvelous news, Bryan, that it is repairable! Thanks so very much.

I am not very handy, sadly, and not sure I should tackle the repair myself.

Are you near Cambridge/Galt, Ontario? Are service calls something that you do for your clients?

*and apologies --- I am not sure what a multimeter is?

Unfortunately we don't provide service calls , sorry, I'm actually in Tn. USA , I can tell you however this repair is not a major one and takes under an hour, A local repair company should be able to take care of this with no problem, at least you Know what to tell them and how much the parts are, I hope I've been helpful though, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ah, Tennessee ... Yes, that would be quite a commute!

You were outstanding help for me, Bryan --- many thanks.

I shall be very pleased to accept your answer and to provide payment for your helpful advice. Shall do that as soon as I send this reply.

Wishing you and your family a lovely weekend,