Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore Elite french door style refridgerator Model

I have a Kenmore Elite french door style refridgerator Model 75522. It has stop cooling the top section and the freezer department was maintained it's coldest. The fan runs and you hear the compressor going. the lines off the compressor chill for a short period only (with frost on the lines) then it's room temperature .
Would this mean the compressor needs repairing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when you say frost on the coils you mean frost in the back on the lines comming right off the compressor ? not inside the freezer right ? your talking about the copper lines on the compressor itself ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes , the main line off the compressor will show signs of frost for about 10 -15 mins then disappear.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
okay well you definitely have a sealed system issue. usually when you have frost on the compressor lines its one of 3 things, 1 your low on freon which means theres a leak or 2 theres a blockage in the system, or 3 your compressor is bad. do you hear the compressor click or buzz at all and then shut down ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The compressor does buzz then stops
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
the thing that really bothers me is the frost. there shouldn't be any on the lines, from what your telling me its the compressor thats failed but it was most likely caused by a freon leak, either way this issue would need to be repaired by a licensed HVAC tech. you will need service to repair this unfortunately. sorry for the bad news, hope this helps in you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fridge is only 7 years old, the repair cost just guessing, compressor $500-$600 plus tech time could run a $1000 repair bill. Would you repair it or look at replacing it, average cost on this type of fridge is around $2000.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
If it were mine I would consider replacing the unit for one reason, when a compressor fails sometimes pieces of the compressor can get caught in the dryer part of the system and you can always get it free. which means theres a small chance that it wont run correctly.