Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Help! I have metal stuck to my glass cooktop from a copper

Customer Question

Help! I have metal stuck to my glass cooktop from a copper bottom kettle that boiled dry. I followed the instructions in the book - cooling it, cleaning with ceramic cleaner, & now I'm scraping the residue off with a razor blade - carefully. I'm sick over this!! Is there anything else that I could/should be using???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. You are doing everything that you should be doing. However, it is likely that you will not be able to remove the discoloration completely. Is the glass top pitted where the pot stuck to it or is it smooth still?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is smooth.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Well, that is good. Often times the metal will actually melt into the glass and pull some of it up when the pan is removed. Unfortunately, the discoloration is likely permanent. If it will not come off with ceramic cooktop cleaner, there is nothing else that will work any better.