Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 27 yr. old Maytag Model LA512 top loading washer.

Customer Question

I have a 27 yr. old Maytag Model LA512 top loading washer. The only problem I have ever had has been the trickling of the cold water. I had a appliance guy come out once and he said sometimes you get a build up of dirt. He showed me how to remove the hoses and flush them out. That was several years ago. We have done that several times since with great results. However, recently it happened again, we purchased a new set of hoses, but no luck. On the rinse cycle, there is no cold water coming in to tub. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

What happens eventually on these is the little dirt and grit gets inside the valve itself and clogs set up so they no longer open, you can't really take these valves apart and fix them it would need to be replaced, Main Product View the valve is the part the hoses connect to and it's electronic, you can order one of these at the following link, it's just time to replace it that's all, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I need to call someone to do this or could we install this part ourselves?

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
These can be tough to replace because it's a small area you have to work in the rear of the machine but it does come out through the back, as you probably noticed right next to the valve there is a 5/16 " screw holding the valve plate to the washer, unplug the machine before starting any work, remove that screw and the valve will come out far enough where you are able to get the wiring off which is just two plugs and there is a rubber fill hose that goes from the valve up to the top and that has a little clamp on it, once you remove the clamp you pull the valve out and replace it, it's not really bad but it's kinda tight when you try to get it out, you could probably do it yourself however. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! Wendy

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your very welcome, thanks Bryan