Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a GE microwave that is about 3 years old and now when

We have a GE microwave that is about 3 years old and now when you put something into it and turn it on, it will start to run then shut right off and then something like this goes across the screen ******* then it will ask to have the clock set like it just was plugged in. What is wrong with it??

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

does this make any loud buzzing before it shuts down ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it makes no noise at all other then the running for just about 4 seconds. Usually if it goes past 4 seconds then it will run the time set
thats not good, the smart board has failed, this is very expensive,

Power control board

Manufacturer Number WB27X10508 , you may want to consider replacing the microwave, unless this is under warranty.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why does it work sometimes and not other times if the mother board failed would it never work??
this is a logic board , (like a computer) and sometimes it can get confused and shut down, there are also relays on the board that may be faulty although you cant just replace the relay however,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So is it the logic board or the smart board or both?? and if both is it worth fixing or should i just replace it??
its all one board just different sides of it I showed you. wanted to show you the back side. with the relays
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You didn't answer the second part of the question is it worth repairing or should i just replace it?
I would replace the microwave, you can get microwaves at very reasonable prices now days, you can even get a new one cheaper than the board alone.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time It's nice to ask a question and get an answer without all the run around. Was leary in the beginning but if i have another question i will use this service again Thanks again
your very welcome, we are here to help anytime you need us, thanks and very best wishes, Bryan