Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag PDB3600AWN dishwasher. It was working perfectly

I have a Maytag PDB3600AWN dishwasher. It was working perfectly fine and suddenly stopped getting the dishes clean and leaving a pile of airy suds, but no water, in the bottom of the tub when it was finished. I cleaned out the sink drain it's attached to, but that didn't do any good. Maybe it's not getting enough water to clean the dishes or flush out the suds. Any ideas?

Also, how old is this dishwasher? The serial number is XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you start the machine and let it fill and then open the door and tell me how much water is actually in the bottom of the machine in inches ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
An inch and a half of water and an inch of suds on top of that. When I opened the door water was definitely spraying from the bottom. I couldn't get a good enough look at the top to see if it was coming out the top sprayer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
sound to me you have two problems, one you have a lot of suds in the machine which will prohibit the top spray arm from moving and two I don't think your getting enough water in this, does it reach the heater ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to let it finish and start it over to see whether it's heating the water? Or will it do it during the rinse cycle?

How suds keep the top arm from moving? They are not close to it.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I closed the door to start the washer running again from where I had checked to see how much water was in the tub. The water coming out now is hot. The top arm is in a different place sometimes when I open the door. But I don't know whether it's moving on its own or being knocked around by water shooting up from the bottom.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
try running two or three bottles of white vinegar through it, just pour one bottle in the bottom, just let it fill and then put it in the bottom, this will get rid of the suds and it will probably be fine, don't put dishes or soap in it when you do it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've done one wash with a a qt. of vinegar and just go back with more. I'll do it once more and then try it with dishes. I'll get back to you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did two washes with a quart of white vinegar in each, with no dishes or soap. Then I washed some dishes. The result was the same as before. At the end of the wash there were suds up to the bottom of the top rack. There was no water in the tub. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

you have a real suds problem , this can only be caused by two reasons, 1 someone put the wrong soap in at some point, like regular dish washer soap, or 2 your not getting enough water, I think its 2 , try changing your water valve, Main Product ViewI don't believe your getting enough water in the rinse cycle. heres a link to order it and there is a video there to show you how to replace it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That makes sense. There's no link in your message. And is it just called a "water valve"?

Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Duh , sorry . its early and I didn't post the link ! here it is, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/99001359/1678?modelNumber=PDB3600AWN thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it. Thanks for hanging in there. I'm going to click Accept Answer now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks , Have a great weekend! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.