Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a GE side by side refrigerator with water and ice access

We have a GE side by side refrigerator with water and ice access on the front. The refrigerator side is freezing food only in certain areas. We turned the temperature to its lowest setting and there was still no change. It isn't freezing on the entire side, only in certain areas. Do you have any idea of what may be causing this? Also the water stopped working on the front. We use it just about everday and it just stopped working one day. When I pressed the lever it first sounded like thhe motor was working, but no water came out. I don't think the two problems are related as the refrigerator freezing has been a problem for months, while the water stopped working last week. Here is some information on the refrigerator. We do not have a manual for it. Thank you I would appreciate any help on these problems.

GE Refrigerator: 2002
Model # XXXXX
Serial# XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Your problem is the damper assembly in the refrigerator section, GE had to redesigned these because of your problem, we are starting to see a lot of these. This is what it says and how much it is.

Damper and Fan Assembly

Item #1055112 (OEM Part)

Refrigerator air inlet cover/damper kit with fan motor. Damper and fan assembly have been updated to prevent freezing in the refrigerator.

Manufacturer Number WR49X10091

you can order this at the following link, it comes with instructions also, this will take care of your issue in the refrigerator section, however you seem to have a lot more problems than that, have you heard any clicking coming from behind the refrigerator at all? You obviously have several different problems this one. It could be the motherboard

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't noticed any clicking noise coming from the back. Could you please explain to me why you think it's the mother board, and give me an estimate on replacing the motherboard. How difficult would it be to replace the Damper Assembly? My father is 76 and would insist on repairing this himself. Paying somebody to replace it would be so costly and he can't afford it. He still works full time, and with the economy he cannot afford to retire. My sister and I live with my dad, and sister has been trying to find a job for months and I am sick, but I hellp him when I can.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Well the problem is you have multiple issues and it would really need to be tested and diagnosed to make sure, the mother board controls everything including the damper the fans compressor and defrost systems, there are no real tests you can do on this with the push of a button, certain components would need to be tested individually to determine exactly what's going on, my guess is an assumption taken from experience on these, I can't be 100% sure without the in there either the boards are expensive and the dampers not cheap but I can't just give you a certain test you can do to determine what it is, when we go out and service call sometimes were wrong to him we have to go back and we often find out that it's more than one problem and have to put another part in, these are very complicated refrigerators and I'm just going by experience, the average service call with labor would probably run you about $120.00 plus parts, I really wish I could give you a definitive answer on that but you have more than one issue and you have to test each individual component and know how they function in order the diagnose it, sorry that's all I can do on line unfortunately, thanks, Bryan