Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE oven model #JKP14 will not heat, though there is power

My GE oven model #JKP14 will not heat, though there is power and all of the controls seem to work. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

So you are able to set the controls but this just does not heat? Or are you not able to set the controls to the right temperature?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I push "bake" and set the temp, then push "bake" again. The screen displays the time, temp, "bake" and "on". The oven does not heat.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay give me a few minutes to look up your parts and see if you have a thermal safety fuse in this, it may be a few minutes so just hang in there. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
There is more to your model number can you see if you can get the rest of it? There will be a tag on the oven somewhere
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to leave the house. I'll get this to you in about 2 hours. Ok?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sure, I am going to be on most of the day, I just want to make sure I get the right model up there so I don't miss guide you, talk later, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model # XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You still there?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I had to step out for a little bit I'm back now. Let me take a look at your full model number diagrams and parts and I'll be back in just a little bit, thanks Bryan,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I just ran that model number in it doesn't, come up. Could you have written it down wrong? How old is this range or oven?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Modle number on the plate inside the door is J KP14W0T1WW. Serial number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay that was the problem the first time you sent the model number you put JPK that's why it didn't come up, I've got it now let me take a look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My bad.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That's fine, okay this being a wall oven it's difficult for you to test it most of the times we have pull the oven out so we can the two high limit thermostats, do you have a multimeter and know how to check continuity? The thermostats look like this, they are number 158 and 159 on this diagram , it is possible to get to them by removing the control panel front but you have to make sure your shut the power off to the oven before even attempting this do you think you can do this?if one is blown you will not get heat to your elements,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a multimeter. Is there something else I can do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
not really unfortunately, do you have fuses for breakers in your house?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Breakers.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay if you have breakers try flipping the breaker all the way off and then back on, if that doesn't work then it's one of the issues I described in you would really need to have a voltmeter and know how to do it in order to isolate the issue in the oven, I wish there was more I could do but unfortunately being on line it's difficult because I'm not there but I am going by experience in my experience is if one of those thermostats is blown the oven will not heat because it is a safety, sorry I can't do more I really tried, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where can I get replacement thermostats?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
they call them limit switches and you can get them at the following link. http://www.repairclinic.com/Model-JKP14WT1WW-ID-55894-Parts?s=d55894e
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My oven is a single unit. Are there still 2 limit switches?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
yes, you can see them on the diagram,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are they both the same as the photo you had sent with the diagram? The link you provided for the parts indicates that there is only one in stock. If they are the same, I will have to find a different supplier. Don't worry. I am satisfied and will click the green box.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
okay , thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I could've done more for you, the part numbers are there so they should be easy to find, thanks and have a great Sunday, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.