Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. About 5 years old. Working

I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. About 5 years old. Working fine until yesterday. Now will not start. No response to any of the buttons located on top of door. No lights with the corresponding buttons. About half an inch of water in bottom of dishwaher. Any ideas?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Most likely you have a blown thermal fuse, when the thermal fuse blows the machine shuts down completely and you will have no power to it, Dishwasher thermal fuse assembly. This fuse protects your dishwasher from overheating. If the dishwasher overheats this device will fail to prevent further damage to your appliance. If it does fail you should repair the overheating problem first and then replace this thermal fuse. It's part number six on this diagram and is up in the control panel,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where can I get a new thermal fuse?

Is this something a homeowner can fix on their own?
You can do it it's not very difficult, here is a link to order the part there is also a video there to show you how to test it if you have a voltmeter, there are screws along the top and down the side you remove to get the control panel loose and that's where it is located, remember to shut your breaker off to the dishwasher before working on this, thanks and best wishes, Bryan