Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my whirlpool duet washer will not start. i unplugged it, plugged

my whirlpool duet washer will not start. i unplugged it, plugged it back in, and now no lights will come on. when I hit the power button, the ding sound is made (like when you try to start the washer with the door open). Prior to me unplugging the machine, the lights and buttons were active, but it would not start (same dinging noise). Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Is this showing any error codes? Do you think you could put this in a service mode if I told you how? Also did this drain all of the water out on the last load?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no error codes are displaying. The tub was empty. I am sure I can put this in service mode with your help
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

There are two operation modes:

Indication of last four error states that have been recorded

by the appliance, indication of the SW versions and

implementation of the automatic test program.

Starting Diagnostic Test only.

Starting Error History, Software Versions

and Diagnostic Test:

NOTE: Washer must be empty and the control must be in the

OFF state.

Close the door.

Select any one key (except "Stop/Cancel and Control Lock

(EOC)) and follow the steps below, using the same key:

Press/

hold

for 2-5

sec.

"

Press/

hold

for 2-5

sec.

"

Press/

hold

for 2-5

sec.

"

Press/

hold

for 2-5

sec.

"

Press/

hold

for 2-5

sec.

Upon release, all yellow/green console LED lights will turn ON for 5 sec.

If there are any failure codes stored by the washer the display

shows them.

Note: the last 4 errors will be displayed.

Press the same key to advance to the next code.

After the indication of error codes, the UI, CCU and MCU SW

version will be displayed.

The number of cycles since last clean washer cycle is

displayed.

All green console LED lights will turn ON for 5 seconds.

Next washer begins the automated diagnostic test.

To cancel out of service mode press "stop" button.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No luck. All buttons are unresponsive pressing and holding them for 2-5 sec.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay that's not good, when you unplug this and then plug it back in can you hear a click like a relay resetting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i hear no clicks
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay well the CCU is supposed to click when you plug this back in, central control unit, these are real difficult to diagnose and very expensive to replace parts in the CCU runs around $240 alone, there could also be an issue with the user-interface which is the part you touch to set the settings, it's really hard to say which one is causing your issue but you don't want to just start replacing parts, how long have you had this machine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 years one month. In other words my extended warranty ran out last month.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Wow, that figures. Because of the cost of the parts for this machine it's highly recommended you call a technician at this point, in the long run it will save you a lot of money and I am going to list the cost of the parts so you don't get taken when you call a technician in, the user interface also called the display is $196.61 and the part number is XXXXX the control which I mentioned above already lists for around $240.00 and the part number on that is, W10156258 , there could also be a problem with your door switch but that's not likely because you don't hear the click when you plug it in, but I will include the cost of that part also, the part number on this is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it runs around $85.00, it's gonna be one of these three parts but unless you have the right equipment these are very difficult to test, I hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for help. I just found out I signed up for a five year warranty instead of two. So, I guess I found a silver lining.