Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The freezer working but refregerator is not. Model BX21tl,

The freezer working but refregerator is not. Model BX21tl, MFG # XXXXX

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Is there any Frost on the back panel in the freezer behind your food? Is the fan running in the freezer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Byran,

Thanks for your expertises.

1> YES - Is there any Frost on the back panel in the freezer behind your food?

2> YES - Is the fan running in the freezer?

+ After unplugged I removed back cover. Not much dust. Vacuumed w/ small yet powerful hose / attachment then wipped clean with"wippy paper cloths". Not wiring appears loose and not frost found on anywhere around condenser. Fan blades and motor / intake grill cover also cleaned but not much dust originally.

--Did find a hard plastic 1/2 inch drain line cracked from bottom of freezer liner ?

* Where can I go from here with layman's point of view ?

Thanks, Warren.

Well what I would do what you need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer, just take your food out and there are screws to remove the panel, what you get it off tell me what the Frost pattern looks like on the evaporator coils. Is it really clogged with Frost or are only partial coils frosted, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

- what you get it off tell me what the Frost pattern looks like on the evaporator coils. Is it really clogged with Frost or are only partial coils frosted.

> The coil has frost completely around it. The grid that looks like back of an air conditioner are covered with frost.

> The deep freeze control dial (from off - 7 ) was at a 6.

> Before up to now, the refrigerator secton was slowly loosing coolness.

The was before the resent storm that took down thousands of branches and town of Verona lost 80% of power. I was saved by standing outside for 24 hrs with 10ft 2" PVC attachments knocking snow off branches around power lines on my street. Branches poped up like springs. Now with the refrig problem, feel like should bang my head with the PVC pole !

Wish you the best with possible solution and what direction I should take from here!

Thanks, Warren

Okay you have a common problem, your defrost is not working, when the defrost doesn't work the coils clogged up with Frost and you have no air flow that's what your issue is, this can be only one of three different problems, one your defrost timer has failed, Main Product Viewtwo your defrost thermostat has failed, three the defrost heater is bad, you would need a voltmeter to check these things do you have one? You need to check the continuity on the heater, and the defrost thermostat while it's still on the coils and cold, if these both have continuity then you defrost timer has failed.