Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

hey bought a place and it had a model# XXXXX microwave

hey bought a place and it had a model# XXXXX microwave and the clock and timer works and all the buttons beep when pushed but the microwave it self won't turn on and niether will any of the light bulbs or the turn table. is the microwave screwed?
PS: the vent system doesn't work also.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

So you are able to set the time for cook but when you press start nothing happens?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ya i can set the timer and the clock and the timer will even count down but the microwave doesn't come on, the plate doesn't spin, the vent system doesn't work, and none of the lights work
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
That's not good, have you checked the door switches?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, the timer stops when you open the door, and when you close it the timer will contin ue to count down when push start again

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay could still be a door switch, there are more than one, and if one is bad the turntable won't turn in it won't cook, there are usually three, they are safety switches so the thing won't run with the door open, you need to test all three of them with a multimeter for continuity with both the door open and shut because one of them is the light on the inside so it will have continuity when the doors open, do you think you can do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

got the multimeter out and could test them but i'd need a diagram to know which wires i need continuity between, but the wife just got the previous owners on the phone and turns out it hasn't worked since they tried removing the cooktop lightbulb underneath the unit with a pair of pliers while it was plugged in and it arced. i believe the fuse is good still. so i'm guessing the machine is done for?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately that is the case, when they are arced the bulb socket they blew the smart board, at this point I would suggest just replacing the machine, the board is very expensive and not worth putting the money into, sorry for the bad news if I had known that from the beginning I could've told you a little while ago but that's fine, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.