Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE side by side refrigerator slowly lost cool, first in the

GE side by side refrigerator slowly lost cool, first in the refrigerator then the freezer. Air is flowing in freezer and in refrigerator, and condensor fan is working, so I think all the fans are good. The compressor is vibrating and I cleaned the condenser coils. Still not cooling. What else can I check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no there wasnt when it started to loose cool. Its a garage refigerator so we cleaned it and it has been unplugged for a couple weeks now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
is it plugged in now ? and if so how long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After i cleaned the condesor coils last night i turned it on for about 2 hours, but it wasnt getting cool so I turned it off. I just turned it back on about 10 min ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, can you let this run for a little while longer and then remove the back panel in the freezer section and check to see if there's any Frost on the coils? You could take the panel off now it doesn't matter we just need to see if it's frosting at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. how long do you think we should let it run before we check for frost?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
hour should do it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Its running, I just got the back off. I will check it in an hour.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

okay

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no frost on the coils.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay and you are sure the compressor is running? Vibrating? If that's the case this is a sealed system problem which means it's either low on Freon or the compressor itself has failed inside, it may be running but it might not be compressing the Freon, unfortunately this is something you would have to have a licensed HVAC technician look at, this is a major deal as far as equipment to check this kind of system, sorry for the bad news but that's all I can tell you at this point, hope I've been helpful though, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.