Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

We just went through a snow storm as a result of which we lost

Customer Question

We just went through a snow storm as a result of which we lost power. After the power got restored we realized that our fridge (Whirlpool gs6nbexrs01) does not work anymore. I checked quickly the compressor by touch and seems to be worm but not hot. The icemaker does not make ice anymore and there is water where theice should be. I am wondering how I can troubleshoot where the problem is. Is it possible that refridgereant leaked out? Is it something else? Can I fix it myself? Should I call a technician?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Do you see any frost on the back wall of the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is some at the back wall in the bottom

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
OK, you should see none. If frost builds up, it blocks circulation of the air causing the unit to warm up. Considering you had a power outage, I would say you need the control board. Boards are often damaged from power failures. The control board controls the defrost cycle so that is what I would replace.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The board is in the back by the compressor. You can order it at the following link.

http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2010568

After replacing the part, turn the unit off for 24 hours to defrost it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I got it. I'll order the part per your recommendation. Now I would like to ask a what-if question. What should I look at next if this is not it?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
If this is not it, you would want to look at the defrost heater and thermostat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for now. Am I going to be able to contact you after I replace the controller board?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jason,

Just installed the new control board and nothing has changed. In one of your responses you suggested to look at either defrost heater or a thermostat. First of all refridgerator is pretty warm inside. The temp is around 60F and the freezed is cold at the bottom and warm on top. I am wondering how the defrost heater may affect both. On the other hand the thermostat is a part of the icemaker. How does that affect the refridgerator?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Is the fan running inside of the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I check that. When I open the freezer or fridge i can hear some buzzing but I am not sure how to verify whether or not the fan is running. I know that the fan in the back of the fridge - the one close to the control box is running. Do you know how to quickly verify the operation of the fan?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
If you open the freezer door you should hear a fan. You should also feel air flowing into the refrigerator. At the top of the refrigerator on the wall between the fridge and freezer there is a damper where air passes from the freezer to the refrigerator. It should have a little grill on it. Do you feel air coming through it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No air flow through the damper.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
OK, then it appears that the fan is not turning. You would have to remove the back wall of the freezer to confirm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just did. It does not work. I removed the panel as you suggested and bingo. Now, is this it?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Should be. Hold on and I will get the part number for you.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Here is the part number 2315549
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Now let me play devil's advocate again. Is this all that causes the problem? Is there anything else that might not be working?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
The only other thing that would stop the fan is the board you already replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you for your help. I'll order the part right away and let's hope I don't have to bother you again :). Thank you again.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome.